Every day the senior leadership team will visit the department on their gemba walk. They are expecting a briefing on what happened in the past 24 hours. This discussion takes place in front of the gemba board. he discussion focuses on the KPI tracked on the gemba board. The following standard process should be followed in every department.
The briefing should not be conducted by the department manager. It should be conducted by a staff member. The responsibility should be rotated among the staff. Doing this creates ownership of the key Performance Indicators (KPI). Staff develop an understanding of their important role in process improvement. When staff can discuss problems and their solution builds self confidence and drives the quest for excellence.
The process for the presenter is:
- Greet the leadership team
- Present the KPI by saying:
- The original state was _________________.
- We set a goal for ______________.
- If green, move to the next KPI.
- If red, report the number of times it occurred in the last 24 hours as recorded on the Pareto chart and the reason.
- If a 5 Whys has been completed, share the root cause of the problem.
- Recap the counter measure that has been taken to eliminate the root cause.
- Go to the next KPI and repeat until al have been covered.
- Update progress on any counter measures in progress or any that have been completed.
- Answer any questions the leadership team may have.
- Advise the team of any problems or issues you have that they can help you with.
- Thank the team for coming to the department.